• Image 1
  • Image 2
  • Image 2
  • Image 2
  • Image 2
  • Image 2
  • Image 2
  • Image 2

Community

About Seaforth

Located about 40 kilometers east of Halifax/Dartmouth, the picturesque village of Seaforth has always welcomed new residents. In the early 1800's Jacob Nieforth and Martin Gaetz purchased large sections of land between Porters Lake and Chezzetcook Inlet. Nieforth and Gaetz descendents are still inhabiting Seaforth and the surrounding area.

In 1833 an Anglican Church was built and around 1870 Jacob Nieforth ( who had ten children) donated land on which a new school house was erected. It replaced the school house built before 1846. The new school house was enlarged in 1885 and closed in 1960.

Initially known as Three Fathom Harbour, in 1870 a major storm resulted in a reconfigured shoreline and two distinct harbours and the community was divided. The area east of Three Fathom was christened Seaforth by Rev. O.M.Grindon, who became the first Rector of St. James Anglican Church in 1867. He named the community in memory of his home town of Seaforth, England.

Mainly a fishing and farming community, the fisherman built their own vessels which carried anywhere from seven to eighteen men. One notable vessel was The Greenleaf which was jointly owned by residents of both Seaforth and Grand Desert. The Greenleaf and its load of fish was lost off the Magdalen Islands but the crew were all saved.

The produce from the community was taken to market in Halifax by ox cart, horse and wagon or by schooner. It was a long and difficult trip on dirt roads that were very poor and sometimes impassable. The construction of a railroad from Dartmouth to Middle Musquodoboit in the early 1900's was a major benefit to the people of Seaforth and other communities along the Eastern Shore. On January 3, 1916 the first run was made covering the distance of sixty-nine miles, one way, in about four hours.

Seaforth had a relatively large train station with space enough to house the ticket agent and his family. Kenneth and Sinclair Nieforth, who lived near the station, pumped water from a large water tank into the coal burning train when it stopped in Seaforth. Improvements in road conditions, regular bus operations and more privately owned automobiles resulted in a steady decline in passenger train travel during the late 1940's and in 1960 the last passenger-carrying run was made. During the 1980's, the ties and rails were taken up and the rail bed became a popular recreational trail from Cole Harbour to Porters Lake. Of course, the most scenic stretches of trail were found in Seaforth.

Today Seaforth and the surrounding communities are home to a diverse and multi-talented array of people. They bring a lot of enthusiasm and energy to the community and they're committed to protecting the natural beauty found here.

The organization known as the Seaforth Community Group was formed in 1961 and purchased the old Seaforth School House, which had been built for the community in the late 1800's. The purchase enabled the people of Seaforth to have a space for community events and recreation.

In the 1990's a new Hall was erected on the site of the original building. The new facility took advantage of the lovely ocean views with lots of windows and many more modern conveniences.

Objectives

The objectives set forth by the community group were:

1. to encourage the Seaforth Community to come together on a regular basis by making the Hall readily accessible to community members.

2. to raise funds so that the Community Hall can continue to operate and to run the Hall on a non-profit basis.

3. to encourage residents of Seaforth and surrounding areas to become members and support the Hall.

4. to provide assistance to Emergency Measures Organization, when needed.